! Teaching Addition and Subtraction Facts for All Learners - Primary Teachspiration

Teaching Addition and Subtraction Facts for All Learners

Teaching Addition and Subtraction with differentiation

Teaching addition and subtraction facts and getting EVERY student in your class to learn them can sometimes be a challenge!  We all know it's much easier for some than others, so we must have a plan to help every student become successful.  This can be accomplished by allowing your students to learn the facts at their own pace - Ah-ha, differentiation!  Realizing this years ago, I came up with a simple methodical format for making every individual in my class successful at memorizing addition and subtraction facts.  And it has never failed me; it works beautifully!  Most of you probably already do something similar, but I'm in a mood to share. So here it goes! 

I've always taught at a second-grade level, so my plan centers around second grade, but can easily be adapted to other grades.  At my school, there are 4 nine-week quarters.  So, my schedule for teaching addition and subtraction facts is divided between those four quarters as such: 

1st Quarter  - Addition facts within 10
2nd Quarter -Subtraction facts within 10
3rd Quarter - Addition facts within 20
4th Quarter - Subtraction facts within 20.

My Plan for Differentiated Math Facts Mastery

I begin 1st Quarter with every student practicing with flashcards, games, centers, paper & pencil (and also include practice as part of homework).  For the first week of addition facts practice, we begin with +0,+1.  Every day students will practice in all the various ways, and then take a daily "mad minute" quiz to assess mastery. Those who pass the quiz 100% will continue to practice +0,+1 for the week, but they will also move on to practicing +2 facts.  

Those who don't pass right off will have the opportunity to do so by quizzing each day until mastery is achieved.  It usually only takes that first week for most everyone to master +0,+1, so I usually only give about a week before moving on to the first +2 quizzes (given at the same time as any +0,+1 quizzes if needed).

For the 2nd week, we practice +2 (along with +0,+1 review) and usually another week before most everyone has mastered +2 (+2's are much harder).  

Then we move on to +3 in the same way, and so on with the goal of everyone passing all levels by the end of the first quarter. 

2nd Quarter I follow the same format with subtraction facts within 10: 1st week -0, -1,  2nd week -2, etc.  The 3rd and 4th quarters follow suit.

Essential Materials 

And finally!  I have had the time to organize my plan with 5 Addition Facts Practice and Assessment packets. Plus, I've put them together into my 1st Quarter Bundle, Addition Facts Within 10.

Update: Also, now available are 5 Subtraction Facts within 10 packets, plus the Subtraction Facts Within 10 Bundle. And, best of all, both bundles are together in the Mega Math Facts Bundle.

Let me tell you, these packets have made all the difference in my kiddos successfully learning their math facts. And that makes them feel good. I'm so proud of them!

You can see how I use them all year in the classroom in THIS POST.


                                                                     PIN IT!
Teaching Addition and Subtraction Facts with differentiation

If you're interested, you can find the math facts resources here. Addition Facts Within 10, Subtraction Within 10, and the Mega Math Facts Bundle that has both the addition facts and subtraction facts within 10 bundles.

Have a Happy Day :)

 

No comments

Back to Top