Soon to Be Released: Structure and Properties of Matter Aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards


I'm sure that by now you've heard about the *Next Generation Science Standards.  If not, you will soon.
It is a new set of science standards that were developed in a collaboration between 26 state teams and a 41-member writing team and partners, who worked together for two years before releasing the final Next Generation Science Standards on April 9, 2013. 

The NGSS were designed around the Framework for K-12 Science Education, published by the National Academies' National Research Council in 2011, which identifies "science and engineering practices and content that all K-12 students should master".  The Next Generation Science Standards emphasize science concepts and processes and ask students to apply their knowledge through scientific experiments, investigations, and engineering design.  They were built on the belief that by covering fewer ideas, but going into more depth, students should come away with a much greater understanding.

Although only eight states and the District of Columbia have, thus far, adopted the NGSS, proponents of the new science standards say that the speed of adoption across the country is on par with what they'd expected.  According to David L. Evans, the executive director of the National Science Teachers Association, "it will take a couple of years, but I'm very optimistic the majority of states will adopt."  Once the Common Core Standards are fully implemented  across the country, districts will have more time to turn their focus toward the science standards.

My interest was piqued when I first heard about the Next Generation Science Standards last April.  I love science, and so do kids!  I began reading and reading and reading more about the NGSS.  At first I was unsure, but as I have studied and now developed my first NGSS-aligned unit, I believe it will be a good thing. (Sounding like Martha Stewart here. LOL!)

Throughout my years of teaching second grade, there were never really any outstanding science textbooks.   My grade-level team, just as many others, developed our own hands-on activities to deepen understanding.  Now, here within the NGSS, I see the built-in opportunity for teachers and students everywhere to engage in authentic science learning.

That's what I am so excited about!   I've been working for weeks, no actually months, on my new science unit/interactive notebook, "Structure and Properties of Matter."  Best of all,  it is aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards.   It's so close to being done, and because I can hardly wait, I've decided to give you a quick preview. 

Here's the cover to watch for!


Table of Contents


Detailed Lesson Plans and Investigations


Foldables, Flippables, Graphic Organizers
and
NGSS Anchor Charts
for All 2-PS1 and K-2-ETS1 Standards



*Next Generation Science Standards is a registered trademark of Achieve.  Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards was involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.


No comments

Back to Top