We Love Books Linky!

What are your favorite read-alouds?

Today I'm linking up with Deanna Jump for Let's Talk about Books!  
http://mrsjumpsclass.blogspot.com/2014/06/lets-talk-about-books-linky.html


My all-time favorite read-aloud to my second graders was My Father's Dragon by
by Ruth Stiles Gannett.

This magical story is about a young boy who runs away to Wild Island to rescue a baby dragon.  The narrative mode is unusual in that the narrator refers to the protagonist only as "my father", giving the impression that this is a true story that happened long ago.  The kids love it!


In the story, we meet......

some tigers,

a rhinoceros, 
a lion,
and a gorilla
all leading to the baby dragon. 

There is also, of course, the island with a river, and a bridge made of crocodiles.




If you've never read this story to your class, you've gotta do it!  There are so many other things you can do off of it.  I always read it at the end of our dinosaur unit.  Although dragons aren't real like dinosaurs, they hold the same fascination to children.
Your kids will love it!





2 comments

  1. Thanks so much for linking up with me! Even my kindergarten littles love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read this- it looks great!
    ~Heather
    The Meek Moose

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top