MY SECRET STRATEGY FOR SHAPING IDEAL STUDENTS STARTING THE FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL


Ahh yes, the ideal student....what makes for an ideal student?  If I were to wish for a classroom full of ideal students, each one would possess certain qualities.  He would know my rules and expectations and would gladly exhibit that knowledge throughout every day.  He would faithfully follow all carefully planned routines I had shown him without question.  He would learn and remember all the wonderful lessons I had taught him.  Yes, this would be the ideal student!  Perhaps just a dream, but not as far-fetched as some might think with a well-thought-out plan.

Shaping my ideal students starts the very first week of school.  And as most veteran teachers know, well planned strategies for that first week sets the tone for the rest of the year.  Here's the short version of my First Week plan to establish a classroom community that runs smoothly and sets the stage for top-notch learning.


Establishing classroom rules is a no-brainer. The ideal student must clearly understand what is expected of him and how he should behave.
I always make a plan to introduce my rules and write it out step-by-step, so nothing is forgotten. When I introduce a rule, I'm specific and don't just talk about it.  I model it, both the right way and the wrong way (they love that!).  We role play it in a variety of ways: doing it the right way, doing it the wrong way, sometimes I'm the student and the student is the teacher, etc.  And then we practice, practice, practice every day of the first week (and frequently thereafter).  You can read about it in much greater detail on this post HERE.


Daily routines include anything else that takes place and how I want it to happen (what it looks like, what it sounds like) - every little nitty gritty thing, including how to enter the classroom and what to do, how to do lunch count, what to do when I'm giving instruction, when and how to sharpen pencils , and every other type of transition.  I plan our day, step by step, and then teach my ideal students how to do every little thing. Then we practice, practice, practice every day for the entire week (and frequently thereafter).


Now last, but not least, is my secret strategy. This strategy is actually part of establishing the daily routine.  In fact, it is the routine that sets the tone for the entire day.  Years ago I quickly learned that if my students came into the classroom in an orderly fashion each morning, without chaos, and with a meaningful purpose, then they had automatically conditioned themselves to be attentive learners for the remainder of the day.  

The trick was to come up with the perfect solution to trigger an orderly, meaningful, and eagerly anticipated entry into the classroom every day.  If I could do that, it would certainly address the issue of starting the day without chaos, but, remember, it must also be meaningful.  This was an opportunity to address the age-old problem of students forgetting the lessons they had learned.  I wanted to set them up to be ideal students that had learned and retained what they had been taught. This morning task had to be kept simple, yet just challenging enough to encourage anticipation and confidence that they could demonstrate the right answers (kids love to show what they know when they are confident about it).  I wanted my kids to know and remember the important skills I was teaching them, so I made a plan to do just that and to address all of the above criteria at the same time.  My Daily Morning Work was born!  I kid you not, it has truly been my best strategy for shaping self-reliant, knowledgeable, and confident ideal students.  

Anyway, as part of establishing my first week routines, I teach my students, step-by-step, how to enter the classroom each morning and complete their Morning Work. We practice it together every day that week (and taper off as they become sufficient at doing it on their own).  

You can be ready for the first week of school with my FREE 1st Grade and 2nd Grade sets HERE. You can also find the the yearlong First Grade and Second Grade sets in my store if you're interested.

Pin It

Here's to wishing you a great year with a room full of ideal students!



No comments

Back to Top